• Text size: Standard text size Large text size Extra-large text size
  • RSS

Lancashire Constabulary

Victim of crime


If you are a victim of crime

We understand that if a crime is committed against you, your family, friends or your possessions, you will feel hurt, angry and upset and we will do all that we can to help you through this difficult time.

We are very clear about our commitment to victims of crime and we will:

Visit you as soon as possible. When we come will depend on the crime that has been committed. In some cases, like burglary, violent crime or racist incidents an officer will always attend. However, in other cases - such as vehicle crime - whether an officer attends or not will depend on the circumstances of the crime and what is most convenient for you. Sometimes you might prefer to speak to an officer over the phone so you can arrange necessary repairs without delay. Whatever the case, you should always get the information you need and we should also be clear about how we will respond.

Find out what's happened - the police officer will get a "first account" of the incident from you and will want to know as much information about the incident as you can give them.

If you have been burgled, the officer will then need to take detailed notes on what property has been stolen. You need to include as much detail as possible in order to help us to identify and return any property that is recovered. Details should include serial or model numbers if you have them.

Attempt to preserve and recover evidence - officers will do this by examining the scene and preserving any evidence they find. A Crime Scene Investigator who is specially trained in forensic evidence may also visit you.

Explain what will happen next

Offer and explain the Victim Support Scheme to you - Victim Support can provide free confidential support, practical help and information. If the police catch the person accused of the crime and the case goes to court, you can also get help from Victim Support's witness service. Visit www.victimsupport.org.uk. We will also give you a copy of our Victim Care Pack

Make house to house enquiries - on some occasions the officer may need to speak to friends or neighbours to find out if they have seen or heard anything relating to your incident, which may help them with their enquiries.

Give you a crime or log reference number - this will be a number specific to you which you will need to quote if you want to ask about the incident in the future. You will also need to quote this for insurance purposes as well.

Give you the details of the officer attending your home

Investigate the crime - try to recover property and identify those responsible

Keep you informed of our enquiries - we will tell you when someone has been arrested in relation to your crime and once they have been charged, we aim to let you have their details within 24 hours. If the person arrested is released on police bail and has conditions imposed on them that affect you, we will let you know as soon as they are released. If this person is charged and attends court we will keep you informed of the proceedings.

Let you know when we can do no more - we will do all we can to investigate your crime. Only when we have exhausted all available lines of enquiry and there is nothing more we can do, will we close a case. We will not close a case without informing you first. However sometimes information comes to light after a case has been closed and if this happens we will re-contact you. Likewise, if we subsequently recover any property or make any arrests we will contact you as well.

If you want to make a complaint - If you are dissatisfied with the service provided, you should discuss your complaint with the person you have been dealing with.  If you are still dissatisfied, you should contact us to make a formal complaint.  If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the issue, through a Member of Parliament, to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for consideration.  Information about taking a complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman can be found at http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/

Police and Communities Together