The Police Effectiveness, Efficiency and Legitimacy (PEEL) inspection is the annual assessment of Police Forces in England and Wales carried out by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services (HMICFRS) to assess effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy.
These inspections are designed to give you information about how we are performing in several important areas, in a way that is comparable both across England and Wales year on year. The PEEL inspections assess:
- the extent to which we are effective at reducing crime and keeping people safe
- the extent to which we operate efficiently and sustainably and;
- the extent to which we treat the public and our staff legitimately
Following the most recent HMICFRS inspection (2018/19), we have been rated as outstanding for efficiency and good at reducing crime, keeping people safe, protecting vulnerable people and treating our staff and communities with fairness.
Their 2018/19 report praises our approach to:
- Planning based on evidence and insight
- Making investment in critical service areas to meet the changing nature of demand and;
- Aligning resources to meet the expectations of the public.
This robust approach to planning has enabled us to focus on our core services - answering calls from the public, responding to the public’s needs and investigating crime. The report endorses that we are focusing our resources in the right place, at the right time, and importantly, that we are getting it right - listening to our staff and communities, tackling the issues that are important to them and investing where we need to.