Flooding and extreme weather

Check if you are at risk of flooding

You can get the latest information about flooding in your area or contact Floodline for advice during a flood.

Floodline Telephone: 0345 988 1188 24-hour service (Find out about call charges)

Guagemap shows you the height of rivers around you and shows if a monitor point is above normal - www.gaugemap.co.uk

Sign up for flood warnings (England and Wales)

Sign up for flood warnings in England and Wales if your home or business is at risk of flooding.

You’ll need to provide:

  • the address you’re registering
  • a phone number you can be contacted on day or night
  • an email address

The service is free. You can get warnings by phone, email or text message. (more information)

Flood Recovery Grants

If your house or business was affected by the recent floods then find out what funding is available.


Your district council may provide sandbags at times of flooding. Please check with your own council to find out what their policy is and how you can get access to sandbags before flooding starts. You can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores or builders merchants. In an emergency you can use alternatives such as pillow cases or refuse sacks and fill them with garden soil.

You can find out more about sandbags and how to use them for flood protection from the Environment Agency.

Pumping out water

You can ask your local Fire and Rescue Service for help pumping out water but you may be charged a fee.

You may need an environmental permit to pump water from your property yourself. Before you do anything, check with:

Report a gas leak

Contact National Grid to report a gas leak.

National Grid (gas) Telephone: 0800 111 999    Find out about call charges

Report an electrical hazard

Contact your local electricity company to report an electrical hazard or a problem with overhead electricity lines.

Report a sewage hazard

Contact your council to report an overflowing drain or sewer.

Get emergency accommodation or money

Contact your council for help getting temporary accommodation.

Contact Citizens Advice for help getting emergency money.

Plan a journey

If you need to travel look at the latest:

Further information

The National Flood Forum has advice on what to do if you’re about to be flooded.

Rate this page