Accessible Contact Methods

Are you deaf, hard-of-hearing or speech impaired?

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can register for the 999 Emergency SMS Service that allows you to text the police in an emergency from your mobile phone.

Smsemergency Image

This service works throughout the UK on all mobile networks, but it cannot be used from abroad.

You have to be registered to use this SMS service. Simply text 'register' from your mobile phone to 999 and follow the instructions. For more information visit

Please do not send test or non-emergency texts – only use emergencySMS for real emergencies. For example, if:

  •  someone’s life is at risk
  •  a crime is happening now
  •  someone is injured or threatened
  •  there is a fire or people are trapped
  •  you need an ambulance urgently
  •  someone is in trouble on the cliffs, on the shoreline or is missing at sea.

The emergency service will either ask for more information or will tell you that help is on the way. Don’t assume that your message has been received until the emergency service sends a message back. It will usually take about two minutes before you get a reply. If you don’t get a reply within three minutes, please try again or find other ways of getting help.

Domestic abuse and the Deaf community

DeafHope and Young DeafHope are projects run by the Deaf Health Charity specifically designed to support people in the Deaf community suffering or at risk of domestic abuse.

You can also report incidents and crimes, report lost or found property, contact our staff, say thank you or make a complaint using our online reporting site.

Rate this page