Parking Issues

Any person can park their vehicle on a public road provided that the vehicle is taxed and insured and is not in contravention of any parking restriction or other laws. In circumstances where a vehicle is legally parked outside your property or is preventing you from parking where you would like to park the police cannot take any action.

Parking issues are handled by a mixture of local authority and police powers, depending on the situation.

Your local council will deal with parking issues covering:

  • Limited waiting bays
  • Double / single yellow lines
  • On-street pay & display bays
  • Residents' parking zones or permit holders' only zones
  • Blue badge (disabled) bays
  • Loading bays
  • Bus stops clearways
  • Taxi bays
  • School keep clears
  • Clearways
  • Dropped kerb access
  • Double parking
  • Pedestrian crossings
  • Council-owned car parks
  • Double parking - vehicle parked over 50 centimetres from the kerb

You can contact your local council through their website:

As a police force, we will deal with parking issues that cover:

  • Double white lines
  • Obstruction, this may include pavement parking
  • Dangerous parking, this may include pavement parking
  • Bends
  • Brows of hills
  • Dropped kerb access (as well as the council)
  • Parking within 10m of junctions
  • Double parking (as well as the council)
  • One-way traffic
  • Box junctions
  • Access only (unless access to premises is required)
  • White hatched areas
  • Pedestrian crossings (as well as the council)

 To report parking issues you can either contact us online or on the telephone by calling 101.


Rate this page