Frequently Asked Questions

We are getting a high volume of calls around the Government rules brought in to help limit the spread of COVID-19. Please don’t call us for advice on the latest Government rules. The best source of advice for everyone on what is and isn’t allowed, is from the government directly. They have now also released their own Coronavirus outbreak FAQs on what you can and can't do here. All the information that we have is on their website:

Reports around people breaching Coronavirus Legislation

We’re facing an unprecedented level of demand at present and unfortunately we can’t be everywhere, all of the time.

So that we can prioritise our resources, to support us we’re asking you to only report incidents that require a specific police response, such as house parties or anti-social behaviour relating to coronavirus.

You can report all COVID-19 related breaches directly online here.

Travel & Excercise

Questions related to traveling, exercising, picking relatives up from airports and car sharing with key worker colleagues.

The best place to stay up to date with guidance is via We’re using a common sense approach and doing our best to work with people, not against them, to ensure minimal impact to everyday life.

How can I access green spaces safely?

The government have updated their website to include guidance on how you can access green spaces safely and how to protect yourself and others via

Forestry England also have updated their visitor information online for anyone visiting a forest here:

Can I take my kids to/from ex partners house?

The government guidance and legislation is the best place to stay up to date with information around childcare. The legislation is set out here:

Can I see my horse/take care of livestock?

The government website is the best place to stay up to date with information around care of animals. Guidance can be found here:

Can I ride my horse?

There is no guidance specifically around horse riding but we’d ask you to consider the additional strain it could put on emergency services, should there be an accident. The British Horse Society has provided some helpful Q&A’s which can be found here:

Can I take my car to be MOT’ed?

All information regarding MOT and Tax status can be found on the DVLA website. You can find specific information relation to MOT’s here:

I have received a motoring offence, how do I complete my retraining course during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Please see the latest update from the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORs) team here.

Enforcement Powers

I’ve been told I will get a COVID-19 fine – What Do I Do?

If you have been advised by a police officer or PCSO that you will be fined, you do not need to take any action until you receive a Fixed Penalty Notice (‘FPN’).  All FPNs confirm the amount of the fine and details of how to pay. Your payment period will not be affected by any delay. 

How do I Contest an FPN?

Should you wish to contest a FPN or request a court hearing you will receive written information on how to do this when you receive the FPN.


Please also don’t call us for advice on the latest Government rules. All the information that we have is on the Government website

Rate this page