I have just seen some people going onto farmland with some dogs, I think that they may be hunting wild animals, what do I do?

If you have seen people who have entered farmland or any remote or rural area with dogs and you think that they may be doing so either illegally or with the intention to commit an illegal act you should contact the police by telephone on 101.

To help us in dealing with the incident it would be helpful if you could provide us with the following information:

  • What is your exact location? The street name is a start but many rural roads are long, if you have the ability to point out a landmark, road junction or property name as a reference point that is preferred. Many smartphone mapping apps might also help you pinpoint your location if you are not familiar with the area.
  • How many people are involved?
  • What do they look like? Can you describe the people involved, include clothing as well as physical features such as height, weight and hair colour.
  • Do they have anything with them? Often people may be carrying other items such as spades, bags, traps or lamps. This will enable us to accurately assess what they may be intending to do and where they might be heading.
  • Are they carrying any sort of a weapon such as a shotgun or air weapon? Can you describe it to us, the length, and if you have previous experience of firearms what you might believe it to be.
  • Do they have a vehicle? If so what is the make, model or registration number.
  • Has this happened before? If we have had previous reports of similar activity we can check these to see what the outcome was, it also helps us to direct local staff to work with landowners and other organisations to prevent it happening in the future.

We would advise that you do not confront people who may be trespassing on land if you believe that they have dogs with them, may be in possession of articles such as spades, shotguns or air weapons. You should retire to a safe location and contact the police.

Rate this page