The internet can be an powerful business tool but keeping your business safe online is essential, you should consider your online security to be as important as your physical security.
- Systems can be damaged or infected with a virus by staff plugging in USB sticks, opening infected emails or using unsafe websites - make staff aware of the company protocols.
- Have a backup system in place for your business data. If data is backed up your business can still operate in the event of theft, a system failure or virus.
- Use a password with a mixture of upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers. Use two-factor authentication were possible to add an extra layer of security to your online accounts.
- Install anti-virus software and keep it up to date.
- If a spam email appears in your Inbox, delete it from your Inbox immediately. You then need to locate the email in your Deleted Items folder and delete it again. Do not click on any links in a spam email. You could download a virus which compromises the security of the entire business network.
Report any incidents of online fraud, scams and viruses to Action Fraud.