Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law)

Clare's Law, also known as the domestic violence disclosure scheme (DVDS), gives anyone concerned about the possible abusive history of their partner or the partner of someone that they know a right to ask us if they believe that they or someone they know is in a relationship with an individual that could cause them significant harm.

A disclosure request under this scheme can be made by:

  • Someone who has concerns that their partner may harm them
  • A third party, such as a parent, neighbour or friend who has concerns about someone’s safety

How do I make a Clare's Law request?
If you would like to make a request under Clare's Law, you can do so by calling us on 101 or visit your local police station.  

What happens after I make the request?
Once an application has been made, we will carry out a range of checks along with other partner agencies. If we find a record of abusive offences, or if we feel there is a risk of abuse or violence, we will consider sharing this information.

If we do decide to make a disclosure, we will always do so in person. This will be made to the person at risk.

The aim of this information is to help people make a more informed decision on whether to continue with their relationship, as well as providing help and support when making the choice.

How can I find out more?
You can find out more about Clare’s Law by visiting the government website: Clare's law to become a national scheme - GOV.UK ( 

Rate this page