It is our aim to make sure that the consumption and sale of alcohol is legal and that people are aware of the impact of drinking too much, particularly in relation to crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour.

We do this by:

  • working with pubs, clubs, shops and off licences to enforce licensing legislation.
  • visiting shops and putting them to the test to see if they are complying with the law and not selling alcohol to underage youths.
  • carrying out regular patrols in hot spot areas across the county to target underage drinking.
  • carrying out regular drink driving campaigns.
  • educating people on safe drinking levels.
  • carrying out specific operations aimed at cracking down on alcohol fuelled violence and anti-social behaviour.

Kids drinking on promUnderage Drinking

Underage drinking not only damages the health of young people, it can create problems in our communities and encourages anti-social behaviour.

Confiscation of alcohol

Police officers have the power to confiscate alcohol from anyone under the age of 18 who is caught drinking in a public place.

If they are caught with alcohol three times, they could face one of the following penalties:

  • A social contract
  • A fine
  • An arrest

We also have the power to confiscate alcohol from a person if they believe it has been or will be drunk by someone under 18.

The law

There are strict laws in place in the UK to protect children from consuming alcohol.
It is against the law:

  • To sell alcohol to someone under 18 anywhere.
  • For an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol on behalf of someone under 18.
  • For someone under 18 to buy alcohol, attempt to buy alcohol or to be sold alcohol.
  • For someone under 18 to drink alcohol in licensed premises, except where the child is 16 or 17 years old and accompanied by an adult. In this case it is legal for them to drink, but not buy, beer, wine and cider with a table meal.
  • For an adult to buy alcohol for someone under 18 for consumption on licensed premises, except as above.
Did you know?
The maximum penalty for using false or borrowed ID to buy alcohol is a £5,000 fine and up to 10 years in prison

Report it

If you wish to report young people drinking alcohol or being drunk in public places you can do so online or by calling 101.

If you have information regarding the supply of alcohol to young people by retailers or members of the public, you can also report this online or by calling 101.

Drink and Drug Driving

Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs can seriously affect your ability to control your vehicle and your ability to respond to what is happening around you and the consequences can be devastating.

Find out more about how we are tackling drink and drug driving, the law and how we are policing the roads in Lancashire. 

Did you know?
More than half of young drivers and over a third of older motorists are risking lives by driving first thing in the morning after drinking a lot the night before.

Other pages in this section

Rate this page