Sadly, extremism and particularly risks around use of the internet are very much a part of today’s newspaper headlines.
Our young people are living in a rapidly changing and global environment which, as we know, can have both a positive and a negative impact on their development and opportunities.
Recent events in Syria and Iraq highlight how young people can be influenced by matters outside the UK in addition to the hatred and the violence that can be found on the internet and through other outlets. Events in the media also demonstrate how schools can quickly and adversely be brought into the spotlight.
Counter Terrorism Policing (CTP) have collaborated with specialists from the PSHE Association and Girlguiding to take terrorism safety advice into the UK’s classrooms and youth organisations for the first time.
Whilst in reality incidents are isolated, as professionals we do need to know how best to respond when concerns do arise.
The ‘Prevent’ strand of the counter terrorism strategy focuses upon early intervention and safeguarding approaches to extremism and potential vulnerability and operates in a similar way to how we would respond to concerns such as those around, physical abuse, drugs and sexual exploitation.
The Channel Panel, which takes referrals, is chaired by a local authority safeguarding lead supported by relevant agencies.
For support, advice, training and all other enquiries relating to Prevent or Channel, please contact the Lancashire Prevent Team:
The Lancashire Prevent Education group have also produced some resources for schools here. Some of the resources for secondary schools are also still available in hard copy. The principal resources for primary schools were launched last year and were specifically developed by teachers for teachers. They are based on cohesion and diversity themes of: ‘respect myself’, ‘respect my family’, ‘respect my community’, and ‘respect my world’.
There are associated lesson plans for KS2 developed by a teacher in collaboration with D2 Digital by Design.
Other useful resources:
- The Schools Inspection Handbook Safeguarding Guidance
- Prevent for FE and Training: http://www.preventforfeandtraining.org.uk/
- ETF Learners: https://www.etflearners.org.uk/login/index.php
- Global Acts of Unity: https://mikehaines.globalactsofunity.com/my-story/
- Prevent for Schools: http://www.preventforschools.org/
- The Prevent Duty – Advice for schools and childcare providers: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/439598/prevent-duty-departmental-advice-v6.pdf
- Prevent elearning course: www.elearning.prevent.homeoffice.gov.uk
- DfE Website for Prevent: www.educateagainsthate.com
- Blackburn Prevent resources: http://ipreventblackburn.org.uk/
- Counter Extremism: http://counterextremism.lgfl.org.uk/