News

Teenager who racially abused steward given three-year football banning order

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A teenager has been given a three-year football banning order after racially abusing a steward.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, had been approaching Blackburn Rovers Ewood Park Stadium ahead of the Boxing Day 2019 fixture against Birmingham City when he was stopped because of concerns about his possible intoxication.

The boy, who had been staggering and bumping into other supporters, became aggressive towards the steward and used a racial slur towards him.

He initially left the area but then returned and came aggressive towards the steward again.

The boy was arrested and charged with Section 4a Racially Aggravated Public Order.

He pleaded guilty to the offence and was given the three-year banning order, as well as a four-month youth referral order. He must also pay £85 prosecution costs, a £21 victim surcharge and £50 compensation to the victim.

PC Dan Fish, of Lancashire Police, said: “The behaviour of this individual was completely unacceptable and does not reflect the behaviour of the overwhelming majority of football supporters, who are law-abiding members of society. Lancashire Police will always pro-actively seek to prosecute people who behave in this completely unacceptable way.”

Steve Waggott, CEO of Blackburn Rovers, said: "Under our #OneRovers banner, we have a zero tolerance of all acts of discrimination and this incident goes to show that we will continue to work closely with the Lancashire Police to ensure that any such behaviour is dealt with robustly in order that players, match officials, spectators and staff can watch football in a safe environment. We welcome the decision by the court to impose a banning order."

 


Rate this page